Goodwill is an excellent choice for your vehicle donation. We accept cars, trucks, boats, RVs, motorcycles, trailers and more. Partnering with Cars Helping Charities, a national vehicle donation processing firm, Goodwill is able to get the most value for your generous donation, which can maximize your tax deduction.
To donate a vehicle, please contact our community partner, Cars Helping Charities, at (877) 935-1255. You may also click here for our online donation form.
FAQs | Cars & Vehicles
My car/vehicle doesn’t run. Can I still donate it?
Absolutely. We are able to accept vehicles whether they run or not.
My car/vehicle has damage, mechanical issues or won’t pass emissions. Can I still donate it?
Yes you can! We’ll take it and make sure you get a vehicle donation tax receipt for your generous donation to SFGoodwill.
What types of cars/vehicles can I donate?
We accept all kinds of cars and vehicles regardless of condition. Cars, trucks, vans, RV’s, motorcycles, ATV’s, boats, and jet skis.
FAQs | Towing & Pickup
Do I have to pay anything to have my car/vehicle picked up or towed?
No. As a SFGoodwill donor there is no cost to you. All of the costs are covered by our donation program.
How quickly can you pick up or tow my donated car/vehicle?
Most vehicles are picked up within 24 hours.
Do I have to be home when you pick up or tow my donated vehicle?
No. After any personal belongings are removed from the donated vehicle and you have removed the license plates, just leave the keys and title in an agreed upon and predetermined safe place and our tow driver will pick it up during the assigned window of time. It’s that easy!
Will I get a receipt when you pick up or tow my donated car/vehicle?
You vehicle donation receipt will be emailed to you within twenty four hours of pick up.
FAQs | Title & Registration
What paperwork do I need to donate my car/vehicle?
In most cases just the title to the vehicle. Even if you do not have the title, other arrangements can be made. Please call Cars Helping Charities at (877) 935-1255 to speak with a donation specialist regarding any special questions.
Can a car/vehicle be donated if the owner is deceased?
Yes. In most cases you will need a copy of the death certificate and a Personal Representative or Power of Attorney paperwork showing that you are the official representative of the deceased’d belongings.
What should I do with my license plate after I donate my car/vehicle?
Please remove the license plates prior to the vehicle being picked up. Then, you can either cancel the license plates with the California Department of Motor Vehicles, transfer them to another vehicle, or destroy them.
FAQs | Tax Deduction & Proceeds
Is my car/vehicle donation tax deductible?
Yes. We will provide you the necessary paperwork to submit to the IRS or your CPA/tax preparation professional.
What are the benefits of donating my car/vehicle to charity?
- It is any easy, hassle-free way to get rid of a car that doesn’t run or you don’t need.
- If the repair costs exceed the vehicle’s value, it may be more economical to donate it to SF Goodwill and receive a tax deduction.
- It is a great way to support SFGoodwill’s mission of putting people back to work right here in the Bay Area.
- It is a great way to recycle, helping the environment.
How do you determine the value of my donated car/vehicle?
The IRS permits the vehicle donor to claim a charitable tax deduction as follows:
- The maximum amount you can deduct is the fair market value of your car. Fair market value is the price a willing buyer would pay and willing seller would accept for the car. This is not the same as the full value as found in a used car guide (such as “blue book” value).
- If the vehicle would sell for less than $500, you can claim the fair market value of your vehicle up to $500.
- If the vehicle would sell for more than $500, you can claim the amount for which the vehicle could be sold.
- You can also learn more from the IRS: Car Donations